Get my e book, "Day In & Day Out" for FREE! Find it on Smashwords, Kindle, or on the most popular smartphone apps; Aldiko for Android devices, and Stanza for Apple users! Also available on e book-purchasing platforms with retailers such as Barnes & Noble, and Scribd.

Saturday, March 8, 2014

Baca's Drunken Movie Review: Street Fighter (1994)

Here's a Facebook oldie (but goodie!) that I really liked that I thought you guys might enjoy! Let me know if you would like to see more of these in the future!

All cheesiness aside, this movie had it's good moments of hilarity (such as when Guile pulls a knife on a large group of Bison's soldiers and they retreat due to what he thinks is his badassery. Kudos to Jean-Claude Van Damme for his comedic performance) and has a proficient amount of fanservice paid to those who were original fans of the first Street Fighter game by Capcom. Because of the extensive length of the movie (honestly, it should've ended the first time Guile "defeated" M. Bison, but they went for the 40 different endings approach) I give this flick a 6 out of 10 stars!I wished they would've continued the Blanka storyline more, and by that, I mean actually explain things. Instead they just mention some vague DNA tampering and then indoctrinate him via video. I don't know about you, but whenever they use footage to get the main character to convert to a 'better way of life,' (see "A Clockwork Orange") I get uneasy and prepare for the political agenda that's coming next.
I don't believe that the way of life depicted by the protagonist is by any means ideal, but the whole point of the film (at least, to me) is that we ultimately we have the ability to decide what we like and what is best for us, and that government or other groups that seek to oppress can never take that away from us.
But, I digress. Altogether, I definitely appreciate the Street Fighter movie, even if it was a shameless way for everyone involved to make some easy cash off of what was (at the time) thought to be a passing fad. It holds a special place in my heart as a movie that used to inspire me to greatness at a young age, even if I didn't necessarily understand what the message was. I was young and impressionable, and Jean Claude's ass kicking abilities held my attention during the worst years of my little assholishness that my parent's had to deal with.
So I guess what I'm saying is, think about what movies your child is watching and make sure it has an important message (that you agree with) that you would like passed along to your child. You never know how important it may be to him or her in the future, and the development of their future nerdiness.
Stay tuned for more of Baca's Drunken Movie Reviews!!! P.S. The after-credit scene where they are basically asking for a sequel is hilarious, due to the negative reviews and fan outcry during the film's original time of release, thereby resulting in the lack of any potential sequel.
What movies would you like to see me drunkenly attempt to review? What are some of your childhood favorites, or sacred cows of film that you would love to dare me to roast? Leave your thoughts in the comment section below and I'll get started on my next drunken movie review!

No comments:

Post a Comment